Friday, March 11, 2011

sunshine, books, and Italian children

"Every day we're told that we live in the greatest country on earth. And it's always stated as an undeniable fact: Leos are born between July 23 and August 22, fitted queen-size sheets measure sixty by eighty inches, and America is the greatest country on earth. Having grown up with this in our ears, it's startling to realize that other countries have nationalistic slogans of their own, none of which are 'We're number two!" 
- David Sedaris





Fridays are starting to turn into my favorite day of the week (original, I know)  because I get to teach English  and then just have a lazy day doing whatever I want.  I'm starting to get so attached to these kids.  Today in 5th grade we read a monster birthday-party story and drew pictures of monsters.  In 3rd grade we sang "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes" as well as "The Hokey Pokey".  They are starting to hug me when I come to class and greeting me with a surprised and excited "Ciao, Anna!!" as if they thought they would never see me again.  


I've thought for a while now that it would be fun to travel for a couple years after college and teach English.  Of course, I have no plans set in stone right now, but I am graduating in only a year.  And at this point I can definitely say - I wouldn't hate it.


The rest of today has been me reading in the sunshine on the terrace.  I'm reading Portrait of a Lady by Henry James for class.  I really enjoy it.  It's one of those books that I probably wouldn't have the patience or desire to get through on my own. But since I'm being forced to read it I can say it's actually a very good book.  Still, I am excited to finish it as well as "Io non ho paura", my novel for Italian class, so that I can begin reading whatever I'd like again. 




Thinking of Japan after that earthquake - how scary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment