Monday, February 7, 2011

I'm just watching the news and eating vegetables...


Two things that have surprised me about my Italian family:

1. They watch T.V. all the time. The television is constantly on and the news is constantly on. Before this, I was sure this was just a very American thing to do. Apparently, it is not.

2. The food I eat with my host family is so, so healthy. We always have a pasta or rice dish, then a vegetable dish occasionally with some meat. The pasta or rice dish is always delicious but never too heavy and the vegetable dish is always the biggest and most varied part.

How these two things have affected me:

1. I have suddenly become obsessed with the current events in Italy. This is very out of character. But, everything going on with Berlusconi currently is fascinating in a horrible way. Protests are breaking out and people are becoming very passionate. In two of my classes the professors have just gone on hour long rants out of nowhere explaining the situation and how angry they are.  I will definitely keep up with everything.

2. I have also suddenly become obsessed with vegetables. Italians are always held on a pedestal for how well they make their pasta and pizza, but why hasn’t anyone mentioned the vegetables? The vegetables are the best part.  If Rosanna stopped giving me meat and pasta and only gave me vegetables I would be happy. That is the truth. Her son is a wannabe vegetarian (she won’t allow it – he’s 40) and now I understand why he wants to be. Every night I ask her how she made every single dish of vegetables because I plan to recreate them all as soon as I have to leave.


I took a trip to Florence and for once didn’t feel any pressure to see museums or actually to see anything in particular. It was so nice. I got to hang out and just see the city for what it is, a beautiful and sometimes chaotic city.

I also tried on about ten pairs of pants only to discover that they were all too short and will all be too short. Then I tried to find a pair of shoes only to find that the biggest size was a 41 European size and I wear a 42. I asked the store clerk is she had any of those in a size 42 and she said no. Then I asked if she had any in the entire store. Again, she said no. Being tall in Italy makes me feel very stylish, but also like I'm an alien.

a Berlusconi protest

a very content Italian boy on a bike

No comments:

Post a Comment